QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"You and I are such similar creatures, Vivian. We both screw people for money"

-Edward Lewis
~Richard Gere in Pretty Woman

Friday, December 8, 2017

Trading Places (1983)



Sometimes when I am feeling blue I DO NOT - i repeat - I DO NOT watch sad movies. If I am sad, why would I want to make myself sadder? It is like feeding Heroin to a recovering Heroin addict. Besides there is so much bad in the world that I want to escape it all and in this situation my go-to is usually comedy! (DUH! what did you think it was going to be?) 
One of my go-to-comedians is Eddie Murphy and I mean 1980 - 2000 Eddie Murphy. Not screwing over Scary Spice Eddie Murphy. Yeah Eddie, that really fucking annoyed me. But anyways, I decided to watch Trading Places. **WARNING** If you do decide to watch any old Eddie Murphy movies just remember that times were different. That's really the easiest way of saying it. There are times that certain words or actions that he says or others say, take me back for a moment. So just heads up! If you want to watch a fun movie that stars Eddie Murphy, Dan Aykroyd and scream queen Jaime Lee Curtis this is for you, just make sure the Kids aren’t around.  
Trading Places is a comedy about a rich white man and a poor black man switching lives on the cost of a bet. Dan Aykroyd plays Louis Winthorpe III, a white wealthy snobby investor who works for one of the biggest broker firms in Philadelphia. On the Flip side, Eddie Murphy plays Billy Ray Valentine, a black poor con man living on the rough streets of Philly. When Louis and Billy's lives intertwine, Louis's wealthy (and somewhat psychotic)  bosses get the idea to perform a social experiment to switch Louis's and Ray’s lives to see if environment really makes a man.
I went into this movie wrong. I went in with the mind set that this was going to be a similar film to Freak Friday. I was proven very wrong. It was witty, clever, dirty, everything a good 80s comedy has. With Eddie Murphy throwing his comical sass to Dan Aykroyd sturdiness, it was a perfect blend of funny. I highly enjoyed this movie. I did make the mistake of watching in on public transportation - you know totally forgetting about all the nudity! It was definitely worth the watch!
7 FROZEN ORANGE JUICE CASES out of 10
LATERZ

No comments:

Post a Comment