QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"You and I are such similar creatures, Vivian. We both screw people for money"

-Edward Lewis
~Richard Gere in Pretty Woman

Thursday, February 1, 2018

Pretty Woman (1990)

Pretty Woman (1990)

Director: Garry Marshall

Actors: Julia Roberts, Richard Gere, Jason Alexander

Welcome to the month of February. The shortest, yet longest, month out of the entire year. With red-heart shaped balloons everywhere it is hard to see through to the beautiful days of March that lie right around the corner. Other than the obnoxious holiday of Valentine's, February does offer importance to the year, Black History. While we should celebrate the individuals that have shaped our history all year long, there is a month dedicated to them. Valentine's is celebrated February 14th in which I will be covering romance films for the first 14 days with the exception of February 2nd - Groundhogs day. The rest of February will be dedicated to Black History month. Films that have captured and shaped black history, from dramas to comedies. This being the first day of February, my list of romance begins and the first movie on my list - Pretty Woman.

When Vivian - a prostitute who works on Hollywood Blvd - meets Edward - a wealthy businessman - not only do sparks fly but, what started out as a business proposition turns into a lot more. 

Being a typical run-of-the-mill Cinderella story, Pretty Woman is sexy and fun. As I watched Pretty Woman, all I could think about was the amazing chemistry that Julia Roberts and Richard Gere have together and how incredibly beautiful these two people are. I have to admit, I have seen this movie well over 50 times in my entire life. The VHS (showing age I know) I had was almost worn out. There is a special kind of charm that brings this movie to life. 

I have read review after review, talking about how this movie is totally absurd all because Edward tries to ‘buy’ Vivian, this kind of story still plays out in Hollywood - Fifty Shades of Grey, for example. If Edward or Christian Grey was some broke ass MF these characters would be considered criminals, not romantics. Regardless, I think this is such a cute freaking movie. If anyone says otherwise they are a fun-sucker and you should not be around them- you know, bad energies. 


Favorite Scene: The shopping montage (DUH!)

Favorite outfit: Vivian’s original ‘prostitute’ dress.

Love,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment