QUOTE OF THE DAY:

"You and I are such similar creatures, Vivian. We both screw people for money"

-Edward Lewis
~Richard Gere in Pretty Woman

Friday, February 2, 2018

Groundhog Day (1993)

Groundhog Day (1993)
Director: Harold Ramis
Actors: Bill Murray, Andie Macdowell, Chris Elliott, Stephen Tobolowsky
    
Happy Groundhog Day!! Today Punxsutawney Phil has let us know if we will have an early spring or a long winter. Does anyone actually know the legend behind Phil the groundhog? Before we start let’s get a little update! The story stems from an old German myth, if a groundhog awakens from his winter sleep, crawls out of his hole and sees his shadow, we will have six more weeks of winter. If he comes out and does not see his shadow, spring is soon to approach. So, every year Punxsutawney, PA gets crowded with people to watch this yearly event and celebrate the hope of an early spring. On that note, Hollywood saw an opportunity for a film and Groundhog Day was born. 
   
When a cocky, self-centered weatherman is sent to Punxsutawney PA to film the yearly arrival of Phil, he gets stuck in a time-loop that forces him to relive Groundhogs Day every day until he understands the value of life. 
Groundhog Day is one of those movies that slip through the cracks and I can’t tell you why. The script is clever, the concept is genius, the actors are awesome, but it lacks some sort of ‘WOW’ factor. Every single person that I spoke to about this movie said the almost the exact same thing ‘I haven’t watched that movie in years, I forgot it existed’. Yet, when I asked “what about Ghostbusters?”, almost every person said, “I LOVE THAT MOVIE!”. Why doesn’t Groundhog Day get the same reaction?


After watching Caddyshack, Ghostbusters and getting to know Bill Murray’s acting methods a little better, his signature character is usually the douche-bag which he plays extremely well. For some reason though, Phil doesn’t seem the grasp the audience the same way that Carl (CaddyShack) or Venkman (Ghostbusters) does. There is something missing from his overall performance. I cannot put my finger on it, which bothers me. This is a situation I guess I will have to let slip through the cracks as well. Andie MacDowell did a great performance. The idea that Phil is self-centered and Rita is selfless really makes the chemistry between the two characters really POP! 

Groundhog Day is funny, clever, well scripted and well directed - it deserves more than just “Oh, I forgot it existed” and it definitely deserves more than being played on TV only once a year!!! 

    Favorite Scene: The last scene - I felt like this was going to be obvious.

    Favorite Song: I’ve got you Babe - Sonny & Cher (Cher is my fav artist of ALL TIME!)

    Favorite Quote: Phil: “I killed myself so many times I don’t even exist anymore.”

Love,
Jennifer

No comments:

Post a Comment